Chicken wings are a staple snack for many households, especially at the time of the Super Bowl, and are loved for their versatility and delicious taste. But have you ever tried Tandoori Chicken Wings? This dish is a flavorful twist on classic chicken wings and is sure to take your taste buds on a journey.
Tandoori Chicken is a popular dish in Indian cuisine that originated in the northern regions of India. The term Tandoori refers to the cooking method, which involves baking the chicken in a clay oven known as a Tandoor. This method results in juicy, tender, and flavorful chicken that is sure to impress your friends and family.
The first time I ate these at my friend Urmi’s house and just love the perfect spice level. Tandoori flavor is the most common flavor in every household and I knew what goes in the marinade. We both use the same ingredients. I asked her if she can give me the exact ingredient measurements. The only difference was she used Greek yogurt instead of regular yogurt. So thanks to her for the exact spice measurement which makes these wings taste the same every time I make them.
What goes in the Tandoori Marinade?
The secret to making these mouth-watering wings is in the marinade. A traditional Tandoori marinade consists of yogurt, spices, and lemon juice. The yogurt helps to tenderize the chicken while the spices give the wings their distinctive flavor. Some of the most common spices used in Tandoori marinade include cumin powder, tandoori masala, kasoori methi, and garam masala. These spices give the wings a warm and slightly spicy flavor which will surely tickle your taste buds.
To make these amazingly delicious wings, all you need is a few simple ingredients and a little bit of time to let the flavors marry. This will allow the flavors to penetrate the chicken and ensure that the wings are juicy and flavorful. Once the wings have been marinated, they can be grilled, or baked until they are cooked to perfection.
Why do I love Tandoori Chicken Wings?
- They are easy to make and incredibly versatile.
- They can be served as a snack, an appetizer, or as a main dish.
- They are perfect for game day parties, barbecues, or as an after-school snack for the kids.
- They are also a great option for those who are looking for a healthier alternative to traditional fried chicken wings.
- They can be customized to suit your taste preference when making the marinade.
- They are a healthier alternative to traditional fried chicken wings.
Different ways to serve Tandoori Chicken Wings
- They can be served with a side of dipping sauce, such as ranch dressing, yogurt & mint chutney sauce.
- They can also be served with a side of rice or roasted vegetables for a complete meal.
- They can be served with mint & cilantro chutney by only sprinkling the wings with fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lemon juice for a burst of fresh flavor.
If you haven’t tried them, do give them a try and enjoy the bursting flavors. They are very addicting and you won’t stop at 1 or 2. So when you make it, make sure you count at least 5 per person.
If you like the recipe, please comment below after you give it a try and share it on Facebook, and Instagram. Please tag us when sharing. Would like to hear from you. Your comments, likes, and dislikes matter to me. Thank you for stopping by!!
Tandoori Chicken Wings | A Flavorful Twist on a Classic Snack
- 1 lb party chicken wings
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp tandoori masala
- 1 juice of lime
- ½ tsp kasoori methi
- 1 tbsp greek yogurt if you don't have greek yogurt then strain regular yogurt
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic & chili paste
- 1 tbsp mustard or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp garam masala (used homemade)
- 1 tsp red chili powder if you want less spicy then do 1/2 tsp
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro to garnish
- lime wedges to garnish
- Mix all the ingredients except chicken wings to make the marinade.
- Now add the cleaned chicken wings and mix it well.
- Place the marinated chicken in a big zip lock bag and leave it overnight.
- Take the chicken wings out atleast 30-45 mins before cooking.
- These wings can be baked, air fried, or grilled.
- Preheat your oven at 500 F and place the wings in an aluminum tray in a single layer.
- Once the oven has been preheated, place the tray in the oven and cook it for approx 40-45 mins. Make sure you turn them half way through.
- When the chicken looks cooked then change the oven to broiler mode and broil it for a few mins on high so that the liquid dries up.
- If making in the air fryer, then air fry at 390F for upto 8-12 mins depending on the air fryer.
- Place the hot wings onto a serving plate. Squeeze the lime juice and garnish it with chopped cilntro.
- Serve these fingerlicking wings at any party and they will definitely be show stopper.
- If you don't have Greek yogurt at home, you can strain the regular yogurt and then use it
- I use Kissan Tandoori Masala which is one of the best ones out there.
- Make sure the wings have been marinated overnight.