Tapioca & Coconut Pudding is a light summer dessert which is both dairy and gluten free with burst of tropical flavors. Enjoy this dessert on a hot summer day without that heavy feeling. It was such an easy dessert to prepare and everyone who ate enjoyed it.
What is Tapioca?
- starch extracted from the cassava plant
- is a staple food in a lot of tropical countries
- low in protein, vitamins and minerals
- high in carbs and calories
- Tapioca pearls- called boba in some cultures and sabudana in India
- small pearls are mainly used to make desserts
- large pearls are used in drinks
Why I love Tapioca & Coconut Pudding
- quick and easy
- can be made ahead
- is both gluten and dairy free
- is vegan if no honey is used
- perfect cold and creamy dessert specially for summer
- tropical flavors sets it apart
The full recipe can be found below on the recipe card below
How did it all start?
It all started the day I had company coming over for Thai dinner and I wanted to keep the menu 100% Thai and not add any other dish from a different cuisine.
I am like what would I make for the appetizer and dessert. As usual I call my uncle and asked him for some ideas and he suggested this dessert. It sounded pretty simple since it is made with limited ingredients. I tried my hand and was pretty impressed by it inspire of not being a tapioca fan and I fell in love with it.
Sabudana (Tapioca Pearls) are used during fasting in India, where we make different savory dishes and desserts.
This dessert can be eaten during fasts by just eliminating chia seeds from the recipe. Chia seeds is an optional ingredient any ways so won’t change much if omitted. Read more about Tapioca please click here
Other Sabudana (Tapioca) recipes from my blog:
How to make Tapioca & Coconut Pudding?
This is such an easy recipe and can be made ahead a few days ahead. Thoroughly wash the tapioca pearls and soak it overnight to get best results.
Boil it in the water until translucent then add coconut milk, sugar and unsweetened dessicated coconut and simmer for another few minutes.
Let it cool down and then chill it in the fridge for a few hours. Serve it cold with the fruit topping of your choice. Mango tastes amazing but I added other fruits to make it colorful.
Where can you find Tapioca Pearls?
You can find these easily in any Indian or Asian stores. I won’t be surprised if you can get them at a regular grocery store. I have always purchased it at the Indian store myself.
Do try this recipe this summer!!!! You won’t be disappointed at all. You will be amazed how easy and delicious this recipe is. So, hurry what are you waiting for!!!!!
Pic Courtesy: Divyesh Khatri
Since I went blank when taking a shot of this pudding, requested my friend to help out. Thank you!!
If you like the recipe, please comment below after you give it a try and share it on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest or Twitter. Would like to hear from you. Your comments, likes, and dislikes matter to me. Thank you for stopping by!!
Tapioca & Coconut Pudding | Thai Style Dessert
- - 2 cup tapioca pearls soaked overnight
- - 2-3 cups water
- -1.5 cans of coconut milk
- -3/4 cup sugar or to taste
- -1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
- -3 tbs soaked chia seeds
- - chopped mango strawberries and blue berries to garnish
- -Wash the tapioca thoroughly and soak it overnight. In the morning you will see the pearls have swollen up
- -In a pot add 2-3 cups of water and add the soaked tapioca pearls to it and let it boil slowly for a few min. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until the tapioca is completely transparent, which means they’re fully cooked.
- -Now add sugar and let it cook for additional few mins. At this time add coconut milk and let it cook more.
- - Taste you sugar, add if needed or you can drizzle some honey when assembling the dessert
- - Let it chill in the fridge. Pour it into your dessert bowls or cups.
- - Garnish it with your choice of fruit. Usually Mango goes well with coconut but I added strawberries and blueberries too