I hope all of my readers and their families are doing well. Its been a really tough time for the entire world but we will get through these testing times. Prayers for everyone around the world. So thinking of new dishes with a few ingredients available is the hardest thing and making sure that everyone will eat is harder. Enchilada Rice is what we are making today.
How do we make this dish? Super easy with all the ingredients in hand, especially when you are making it in the instant pot. The rice is simmered in the enchilada sauce, with the addition of a few more ingredients. You can adjust the spices as per your taste which is the best when you make it at home. This dish tastes better than the rice and beans we get at Taco Bell, not that there is a comparison between the two.
Enchilada sauce is basically chili powder simmered in a broth with garlic, onion, tomato paste/sauce and thickened with flour. You can use a store-bought enchilada sauce or make it at home. This time I used the market pantry brand from Target.
Why Enchilada Rice
- an easy dish under 30 mins
- a one-pot meal with bold flavors
- perfect for weeknight dinner
- can be a side dish
Ingredients used in making Enchilada Rice
The ingredients used in this dish are enchilada sauce, corn, black beans, onions, peppers, cumin powder, red chili powder, cheese of your choice.
Here I used the Mexican Blend but you can use cheddar if you prefer that. You can also use as much or as little you want to be based on your liking.
You can find the recipe for Enchilada Rice at the bottom of the post where you can print the recipe card
Can this dish be made with Chicken or Vegan
Yes, you can easily add your choice of meat right after you saute onions and peppers. Saute it a few mins and then add everything else.
To make the vegan version, you can use any of the vegan cheese options or you can skip the cheese altogether if you don't have it.
Few useful tips for this recipe:
- Use your favorite enchilada sauce, I used the Market Pantry brand from Target or you can make the sauce at home.
- Make sure your black beans and corn are thoroughly washed.
- Use medium to long grain rice, I used Basmati rice as that was the only choice I had.
- Adjust the spice level as per your taste.
- This recipe tasted better the next day
Here is the stovetop version:
-To make this recipe on the stovetop, follow the same instructions until sauteing the garlic, onion, and bell peppers on slow to medium heat.
-Then add all ingredients – water, rice, black beans, corn, salt, roasted cumin powder, paprika, red chili powder, enchilada sauce, and stir.
-Cover the pot with a lid and cook on medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until the rice is done.
-Remove the lid, add cheese and cover it for another couple of mins until the cheese melts. Mix it and garnish it with cilantro and avocado.
Serve it hot with sour cream, avocado or maybe tortilla chips.
Some other recipes to try from my blog:
I hope you all like the recipes I bring.
Pin this Enchilada Rice for later
If you like the recipe, please comment below after you give it a try and share it on Facebook. Would like to hear from you. Your comments, likes, dislikes, matters to me. Thank you for stopping by!!
- 1¾ cups rice (used basmati or you can any long grain)
- 1 can enchilada sauce ( you can use homemade)
- 1 small- medium onion, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno, chopped (as per your taste)
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can black beans
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 4-5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbsp grape seed oil (any oil)
- ¼- 1/2 tsp red chili powder (per your taste)
- salt to taste
- ¾ tsp roasted cumin powder
- cilantro to garnish
- lime to sprinkle/garnish (optional)
- avocado (optional)
- 2 cups mexican cheese
- Place the inner pot of the instant pot. Press SAUTE button and let the screen show HOT. Now add the oil and then garlic, onion, jalapenos and red bell pepper. Saute it for a couple of mins.
- Add the washed rice, black beans, corn and then water. Now add all the spices cumin powder, salt, red chili powder. Do not mix it. Pour the can of enchilada sauce on top and close the lid of the instant pot.
- Cancel the SAUTE button, and press MANUAL and set the timer to 5 mins. Once the timer goes off, let it NPR for another 5-6 mins. Open the lid and put in the cheese and cover the pot for an additional couple of mins so that the cheese can melt. Once the cheese is melted, mix the rice in the pot well.
- Garnish it with cilantro and serve hot. You can add the optional garnishing such as avocado, jalapenos, and lime juice