2020 has been a challenging year for all of us. First of all, I would like to thank God for keeping me and my family safe. This new normal was hard to accept in the beginning but now we have adapted somewhat. People are still not completely used to it but trying to. The other day I went to CVS and forgot to put on the face mask as I was rushing. As soon as I stepped in realized and went back to my car. Anyway, let’s get to see what I am bringing you all today. Sweet Vermicelli that is meethi seviyaan in Hindi and that too in an instant pot under 10 mins if you have roasted vermicelli at home.
I have always been a fan of dry Sweet Vermicelli compared to the wet one which is made in milk. Every time I will make them they would be sticking together and I never liked the look of it. By the way, I eat seviyaan every Karwachauth instead of pheniyaan (Pure Desi Ghee ones). I always think that Pheniyaan has a weird smell to it.
So making seviyaan in the Instant Pot is a breeze. I love the texture as the vermicelli strands are separated once we fork it after opening the pot. I don’t think I will ever make it on a stove top after trying the Instant Pot method.
What is Vermicelli?
- type of thin noodles
- made of rice and wheat
- can be made savory or sweet
- can be found at Indian or Asian grocery stores
So as I mentioned that we can make them sweet or savory, dry or wet depending upon how you like it. When making the sweet recipe, we use the roasted vermicelli which I got from the Indian market. If you don’t have the roasted version then we can roast the dry vermicelli before making it. When roasting the vermicelli, make sure the heat is not too high and keep stirring until you get the brown color. I kind of saved a few mins with the pre-roasted vermicelli and skip an extra step in making it.
This recipe needs a few staple ingredients from your pantry which includes sugar, milk if using, water, vermicelli, ghee, and cardamom. Do give this recipe a try and you will thank me for such an easy and quick recipe especially when you have someone over at a short notice.
Can this Sweet Vermicelli be made Vegan?
Yes, it can by substituting ghee or butter with Vegan butter or oil. Also, substitute 1/2 cup of milk and make it 1 cup of water instead.
When can you make Sweet Vermicelli?
It used to be a special dessert back in the days when it was made during festivals such as Eid and Diwali. Now when you are in a rush and can’t think of any other dessert, Sweet Vermicelli comes to the rescue.
The full recipe can be found below on the recipe card
The amount of sugar is up to you. Adjust it according to your taste, I think I won’t like it any sweeter than the amount I have used.
Do try it and let me know what you think.
Try these other desserts from my blog: Gajar ka halwa, Mango Ice Cream, Mango Fruit Custard, Chaawal ki Kheer
If you like the recipe, please comment below after you give it a try and share it on Facebook. Would like to hear from you. Your comments, likes and dislikes matters to me. Thank you for stopping by!!
Sweet Vermicelli | Instant Pot Meethi Seviyaan
- -1 cup dry vermicelli i used roasted ones
- -1/3 cup sugar
- -1/2 cup water
- -1/2 cup milk
- - 2 tbsp ghee or butter
- - crushed cardamom seeds
- -saffron optional
- -nuts of your choice optional
- - Plugin your instant pot and press Saute. Once the pot is hot, add ghee.
- - Now add the vermicelli. If they are pre-roasted then you don't need more than a min. If not then roast them for a few mins until they change color to brown.
- - Once your vermicelli is roasted, add your choice of nuts and roast for a min or two. I don't add anything at this time as my family doesn't like it. I always garnish it with chopped almonds.
- - Add crushed cardamom pods, sugar, and the liquids which are milk and water. If you are not using milk then you can add 1 cup of water instead.
- - Mix everything together. Place the lid and close it and seal it. Cancel the SAUTE and press Manual or Pressure Cooker. Set the timer for 1 min as the vermicelli is thin. Once it beeps, let it NPR for 6 mins. Release the pressure and open the lid. Using a fork, separate them.
- - Garnish it with your choice of nuts. Serve it hot