Print RecipeBarfi is a popular milk-based sweet (mithai) made during festivals such as Diwali, Holi, and Rakshabandhan. Today I am bringing you the recipe of an easy homemade Barfi made with ricotta cheese, milk powder, and condensed milk. I made barfi for our Satsang at our place a few months ago. It’s been so busy, that I didn’t get a chance to post the recipe. I made this with my Mom’s help as she was visiting me after a long time.
It came out super amazing and it was one of the easiest sweets to make at home. I don’t remember if we added pistachios or not but that can be added as per your preference. We did garnish it with rose petals and it gave such a beautiful look to this simple barfi and took it to another level.
What is Barfi?
An Indian milk-based fudge that is popular and made around festivals. The name comes from the Persian word barf which means snow. There are so many different types of Barfi out there, but my favorite is Besan Barfi which is made of gram flour. A few names that come to my mind are Almond Barfi, Kaju Katli, Kesar Burfi, & Peanut Barfi.
Ingredients used in making Barfi
This recipe doesn’t contain too many ingredients. I have used only a few things from my kitchen for this recipe. The ingredients are Ricotta Cheese, Condensed Milk, Cardamom Powder, and Milk Powder. Since I had almond flour I added a few tablespoons but that is optional.
If you don’t have rose petals then just garnish them with your dry fruits such as pistachios or almonds. This was a quick sweet that can be made without too much effort as long as you have all the ingredients handy.
Favorite Indian Sweets from my Blog
- Gajrela (Gajar ka Halwa)
- Gulab Jamun
- Nariyal Ke Ladoo
- Chawal ki Kheer
- Besan Ke Ladoo
- Moong Dal Ka Halwa
- Shakarkandi Ka Halwa
You can keep this Barfi in the fridge for up to a week and take it out a few mins before eating. This will help soften it a bit. Try this recipe for Rakshabandhan next month or Diwali and enjoy it with your loved ones. Once you make it, you will make it over and over again.
If you like the recipe, please comment below after you give it a try and share it on Facebook. Would like to hear from you. Your comments, likes, and dislikes matter to me. Thank you for stopping by!!
Barfi | How to make Barfi using Ricotta Cheese
- 3 lbs Ricotta Cheese
- 28 oz milk powder
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1-2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp dried rose petals for garnish
- 3 tbsp almond flour
- 2 tbsp slivered pistachios for garnish
- In a heavy pan, add ricotta cheese. Cook while stirring continuously so that it doesn't stick to the bottom or burn. You will notice that it will start getting thicker as the water content in the cheese is slowly evaporating. This will take a little bit of time as we will cook on medium heat.
- Once the cheese has thickened, add ghee, milk & almond powder. Mix well for a couple of mins.
- Now add cardamom powder and condensed milk to it and cook for additional few minutes while stirring it continuously
- You will see the mixture will come together off the pan, which is when it is ready to spread on a cake pan or a thaali
- Grease the baking pan with butter or ghee, before spreading the mixture.
- Using a flat spatula, pat the mixture to get an even layer. Sprinkle slivered pistachios and rose petals at this time and press it down using the spatula again.
- Put it in the fridge to set for a few hours. Once it is set, you cut it into the desired shape and serve.