Chicken Tikka Masala is one of the most popular North Indian dish around the world. There are a few other dishes that represent Indian food in the western countries such as Palak Paneer, Dal Makhani, Butter Chicken and Chicken Tikka Masala. You will have to try this restaurant style Chicken Tikka Masala recipe which can be easily made at home with a few ingredients.
Chicken Tikka Masala Origin
No one knows for sure where was Chicken Tikka Masala was originated. Some say it was originated in UK by a Bangladeshi chef and some say that it was originated by Moti Mahal in the form of butter chicken.
What is Chicken Tikka Masala?
This dish is made with tender chicken chunks that are marinated and grilled on the grill or baked in the oven before it is submerged into an onion and tomato gravy along with aromatic spices. The marinade is made of greek yogurt, hung yogurt or you can use sour cream also if available, garlic, ginger, and dry spices. The grilled chicken pieces are called chicken tikka and when mixed in with the gravy, it becomes Chicken Tikka Masala.
(This recipe was originally posted back in Feb 2014. Here I have updated the writeup and the pics)
What can you pair Chicken Tikka Masala with?
- Naan- plain, garlic, chili and coriander
- Chapati (roti)
- Jeera rice
- Tandoori roti
- Matar pulao (rice with peas)
The full recipe can be found in the recipe card below
How to make Chicken Tikka Masala?
There are a couple of ways to make it.
- you can marinade the chicken and then grill it or bake it in the oven first. In a pot, make the gravy and add the chicken to it.
- Another way is where if you don’t have time to grill or bake it first, where you can take the marinated chicken and can just make it straight on the stove top. That’s what I did today.
Can you freeze this?
Yes, you can. If you have chicken sitting in your fridge, marinate it and grill or bake it in the oven. Also you can freeze the gravy separately. The day you want to make it, just thaw the grilled chicken and the gravy. In a pan you heat up the gravy and add the thawed grill chicken. Let it simmer for a few mins and garnish it with cilantro. Serve hot with your choice of naan or rice.
Few recipes to try from my blog:
Main Course: Methi Murg, Chicken Curry,Chicken Panang Curry
Appetizers: Southwestern Chicken cups, Jerk Chicken Wings
Pin it to make it later
If you like the recipe, please comment below after you give it a try and share it on Facebook. Would like to hear from you. Your comments, likes and dislikes matters to me. Thank you for stopping by!!
Chicken Tikka Masala
- For the Marinade
- 2 lb chicken thighs skinless n boneless
- 2 tbsp Tandoori masala
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 8-9 garlic cloves minced
- 2 inces ginger grated
- 2 tbsp greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1.5 tsp salt or to taste
- 2 tsp kasuri methi
- 1.5 tsp red chili powder
- ¼ cup mustard oil
- For the gravy:
- 1 onion sliced lengthwise i used readymade fried onions
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- ½ cup tomato puree
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ¾ tsp red chili powder
- ¾ tsp tandoori masala
- ¾ tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1.5 tsp honey
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup water
- 2 tsp oil
- 2 tsp dried fenugreek
- cilantro to garnish
- ½ lemon and lime juice
- Cut and wash the chicken thighs into medium size chunks.
- To make the marinade, mix all the ingredients other than chicken under the marinade into a mixing bowl. Before adding the chicken, taste the marinade and add if anything is needed at this time as per your taste.
- Now add the clean chicken and marinade it for an hour if you are in a rush or you can marinade it overnight.
- Heat the grill, and thread the chicken on to the wooden or metal skewers. Place it on the grill, brush it with little oil and cook it until chargrilled or you can bake it in the oven.
- In a stainless steel or non stick pan, heat a teaspoon of oil. I have used readymade fried onions for the masala. If you don't have the fried onions, then fry them until dark brown. Let it cool down.
- Now blend it in the blender along with garlic, ginger, tomato puree or raw tomatoes.
- In the same pan, add the masala mixture and saute for a few mins. Once roasted, add a little bit of spices, that is salt, garam masala, tandoori masala, red chili powder. Now add about cup and a half water. Let it boil and simmer for a few mins.
- Do a taste test and see if there is a need for additional spices along with a 2 tsp honey.Also add 1/2 cup of heavy cream along with kasuri methi. Let the gravy boil for a few mins.
- Add the grilled chicken and let it simmer for a few mins. Simmer until you like the consistency, I like it a bit thicker instead of super runny.
- How to cook if chicken is not grilled or bake it.
- In a pan a couple of teaspoons of oil. Add the marinated chicken. Roast it covered on a medium until you see the oil is separated. Add a 1/2 cup of water, simmer it for a few mins. Now add heavy cream, honey, kasuri methi. Mix it gently and cook it uncovered until you reach the right consistency of the gravy.
- Once the chicken is cooked garnish it with cilantro and squeeze a little lime or lemon juice. Serve hot with your choice of naan, rice, tandoori roti or chapati.